Spean Bridge Golf Club is situated on the edge of this little West Highland village, on the A82, ten miles north of Fort William.
With engrossing views of the surrounding mountains including Ben Nevis and the Commando Memorial Monument that stands at the North side of the village, Spean Bridge, like many Highland courses, enjoys a truly wonderful setting.
Although comparatively small it is a testing nine-hole course with a few surprises here and there. The club was formed during the 1950s by a group of locals who also designed and built the course and to this day members still help to maintain it.
Lying in the Great Glen, Spean Bridge has transport links north towards Inverness and south to Fort William, provided by the A82, and the A86 heads east to join the A9 at Newtonmore. The village is served by the Spean Bridge railway station providing links to London, and between 1903 and 1933 it offered a branch line service to Fort Augustus.
The Highbridge Skirmish on 16 August 1745 was the first engagement of the Jacobite Rising of 1745.
The Commando Memorial, dedicated to the men of the original British Commando Forces raised during Second World War, is located approximately 1 mile (1.6 km) north-west of Spean Bridge, at the junction of the A82 and the B8004.
It overlooks the training areas of the Commando Training Depot established in 1942 at Achnacarry Castle.